Atmospheric Pressure Mass Spectrometry
DART® Direct Analysis in Real-Time
KR Analytical are the European distributors for the IonSense™ DART® source.
The IonSense DART produces protonated molecular ions from organic molecules on, or close to a surface. DART operates in atmospheric conditions and requires minimum sample preparation and no specialist reagents. A gas supply is all that is necessary. After fitting the DART to a mass spectrometer, spectra are produced within seconds with minimum operator training.
DART uses metastable helium atoms to ionise the sample. Because it is a very soft ionisation process, only protonated molecular ions are formed with no fragmentation, so interpretation is simplified. Identification and structures can be confirmed using either exact mass measurement or MS/MS.
- The simplest sampling procedure. There are a variety of sample holders to automatically move or hold the sample in front of the gas stream and acquire spectra
- No sample preparation is necessary. Solids, liquids and vapours can be analysed as seen
- No reagents or solvents are required. The only variable is the temperature of the gas stream. Once the correct temperature is achieved, spectra are produced instantaneously.
- Because there are no reagents, there are no background ions so everything detected originates in the sample
- DART can be fitted to most mass spectrometers with an ESI or APCI source including Thermo-Finnigan, Agilent, Bruker, ABI, Waters and now the Shimadzu 2020 and 8000 series LC/MS instruments
DART-SVP see the flexible sampling options
Examples of applications of DART technique
LOD approx 70ppb of melamine in raw milk run using DART-SVP on Thermo Exactiveenlarge image
DART in pharmaceutical analysisenlarge image
View our video on DARTshow video
To date, DART has been used successfully to solve many real problems extremely rapidly.
- Competitive Analysis and Counterfeit Pharmaceuticals
- Reaction monitoring
- Food Analysis
- QC of active ingredients
- Rapid Analysis of LC Fractions
- Polymers & Packaging
- Odour Investigations
As DART is such a flexible technique, new applications are discovered continually. A catalogue of these can be found on www.ionsense.com.
DART is a registered trademark of JEOL USA
+44 (0) 1270 763471
KR Analytical Ltd
77 Forge Fields